The park itself is now very basic, with a children's playground and parking. During the football season it has some pitches marked out and off-season hosts a large annual charity boot fair. The history however is much different, the Park and Lodge formed the southern part of the historic park of Addington Park which surrounds Addington Palace, where the Archbishops of Canterbury made their summer home in the early 19th century.
The park is an ancient hunting site belonging to the Manor of Addington and the original manor house stood behind the church and is recorded on old maps as a hunting seat of King Henry VIII. The nearby church of St. Mary's, dates back to the 11th century, the chancel and nave were built about 1080 and the original flint tower followed in the 12th century.
Also nearby is Addington Palace which grounds were laid out by famous 18th century landscape designer 'Capability' Brown a year before he died, who style for stately homes of England was to remove formal gardens and sometimes whole villages to create as sweeping natural landscape with clumps and singular specimen parkland trees, with a dense tree belt planted around the perimeter which much survives to this day.
Addington Palace was built by Alderman Trecothick of London in 1768 to replace the old manor house and was originally known as Addington Park. The Archbishops made a number of alterations and additions to the mansion and extended the park northwards. The historic park has been laid out as a golf course is not open to the public. For many years the mansion was home to The Royal School of Church Music, but is now used as a Country Club and for conferences.
The park is Grade II listed on English Heritage's Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.